Artistic Artifacts — Creative Finds
for Creative Minds!
“It is our wish that our finds will encourage you to be creative, to try using a supply in a non-traditional way, or incorporate a non-traditional fabric or supply in a traditional way, to shake it up a bit!”
Judy Gula, owner, Artistic Artifacts
Fiber & Mixed Media Classes:
Learn new techniques and craft your own one of a kind creations with our wide variety of classes — join us!
- Saturday, June 6: Machine Quilting, Feed Dogs Down with Cyndi Souder — Drop your machine’s feed dogs and discover how simple and fun free motion quilting can be. Basic-free motion filler patterns, threads, needles, tension, and more are covered; you’ll leave class with samples, confidence, and a brain full of ideas.
- Saturday, June 6: Turn Your Photos into Thermofax Screens with PG Fiber2Art — Learn to use Photoshop Elements (laptop and some software experience required to turn your own photos into black & white images that can be used to make thermofax screens...leave class with your own custom screen ready to use!
- Kass Hall, a mixed-media artist from Melbourne, Australia is visiting us and teaching 2 exciting classes. Read our blog for a guest post from Kass telling you what you can expect in her classes!
- Saturday, June 6: It’s All in the Detail — Explore art journaling and learn about backgrounds, adding details, using stencils, drawing faces, creating handwritten fonts and more. You’ll leave class bursting with inspiration from Kass and your fellow students...and the techniques can be applied to other surfaces too, not just a journal.
- Sunday, June 7: Make It Big! — Use a range of media to create a large scale canvas that is bursting with color, shape and texture. Learn Kass’ techniques with layering, blending, stencilling and more to create a one of a kind piece!
- Saturday, June 13: Citra Solv Prints with Susan Gantz — All Supplies Provided! Ready for some messy — but fragant — fun? Explore manipulation of National Geographic magazines with the all-natural solvent Citra Solv. You will receive your own bottle of Citra Solv, a National Geographic magazine and completed papers created by Susan to keep.
- Begins Tuesday, June 16: Your Original Quilt with Rosalie Lamanna — Join us for four Tuesday evenings (6:30 – 8:30 pm, June 16 & 30, July 14 & 28) and create a fabulous quilt! Classes are structured as lectures and demonstrations; students will then work from home with assignments until the next class.
- Saturday, June 20: Kinetic Quilts with Linda Cooper — Talented art quilter Linda Cooper invented this unique design, which incorporate the features of both quilts and mobile sculpture. Learn the secrets of making your own version in this popular class!
- Saturday, June 27: Memory Box: A 3D Mixed Media Assemblage with Barbara Boatman — Have some fun creating a 3D assemblage in this easy-to-execute mixed media class that incorporates your choice of small personal objects or images.
Mixed Media Product and Technique Demos
Join us for our popular monthly “How Do I Use This?” product demo and play-time! We are now offering Tuesday daytime sessions in addition to our Thursday evening sessions. Learn more, view schedules and register »
MIX: Adventures in Mixed Media
Artistic Artifacts’ collaboration with Del Ray Artisans Gallery, MIX: Adventures in Mixed Media takes place May 1-31, 2015 in Alexandria, VA. Learn more about the exhibit and events »
About Artistic Artifacts
“Artistic Artifacts is a creation of my personal art style,” says
owner Judy Gula. “As you view our product offerings and photos,
think that they came from my studio. Jars of wooden thread spools, dice,
shells, vintage buttons, and unusual fabrics.... We are sharing our stash
with you, and I love to share.” [More about Artistic Artifacts]
Judy Gula, owner, Artistic Artifacts
Artist Trading Card (ATC) Exchange Opens Each JAMs Meeting
All who are interested are welcome to join us for our monthly Artist Trading Card (ATC) exchange, held at the beginning of each meeting of Judys Altered Minds (JAMs), an altered art group that is free to join. More about our ATC Exchange »
Artistic Artifacts offers vintage and new cottons, silks and wool, including aboriginal and batik fabric, plus hand dyed fiber and lace. Add color with Stewart Gill paints, Shiva Paintstiks, dyes and more — we carry a wide variety of surface design supplies including hand-carved wooden printing blocks for stamping or rubbing. Create and embellish with a wide variety of mixed media products, Angelina fibers, vintage ephemera, buttons, charms, watch parts, game pieces and boards. Books, DVDs, magazines and patterns plus classes and workshops are offered for inspiration and techniques.