Artistic Artifacts Tutorials, How-To’s & Free Patterns
Our YouTube channel features video tutorials, demonstrations and more! Please check it and the Artistic Artifacts blog on a regular basis for fiber and mixed media inspiration, including tips and techniques for using products we sell.
- Block Printing Intro
- Creating and Embellishing Block Printed Textiles
- A Sampling of Block Printed Art Quilts
Watch as Artistic Artifacts owner Judy Gula gives a brief tutorial on using wooden printing blocks and Artistic Artifacts Fluid Textile Paint on fabric. The above links are the blog posts for Judy Gula’s stint as the March 2016 Artist for The Printed Fabric Bee series, focusing on printing with our wooden printing blocks. Take a look too at our Block Printed Holiday Cards.
From our blog and more:
- Making Fabric Postcards (with video)
- Block Printed & Slow Stitched Quiltlets
- Modern Squares Quilt Tutorial, designed and quilted by Christine Vinh of StitchesnQuilts
- Graphic & Improv Modern Scrap Quilt
- Paper Piecing Aussie Blocks
- A Peek at Gel Plate Printing
- Dye. Layer. Collage. Art. (mixed media art quilting)
- Creating Silk Paper
- Mixed Media Journal with Hand-Stitched Felt Cover
- Fabric Memory Book (from Liz Kettle of Textile Evolution)
- Also from Liz Kettle: A Plethora of Pinked Hearts — includes a great tutorial on how to weave fabric strips!
- Paintstik Rubbings using Vintage Indonesian Tjaps
- Creating Journal Pages
- Upcycle a Thrift Store Canvas with an Art Quilt
- Hand Made Cards with Fabric Scraps
- Using the Spray & Fix Family of Products
- Stamping with Angelina
- Using Silks Acrylic Glazes and Twinkling H2O’s
- Make Your Own Travel Accessory (from Liz Kettle of Textile Evolution)
- Memento Luxe Mixed Media Ink Pads with Wooden Printing Blocks
- Free-Form Strip Piecing
- Exploring the Possibilities of Gelatos: view Part 1 | view Part 2
Our Free Quilt Patterns
Artistic Artifacts Bright Batik Block Quilt Pattern
Our Bright Batik Blocks Quilt (approximate size 48 in. x 66 in.) was featured in our booth at the 2016 Quilt Market and International Quilt Festival in Houston! Our pattern is quick and easy to put together.
We used a variety of our own Batik Tambal Exclusive Batik fabrics combined with two colors of the She Sells design by Frond Design Studios to create this vibrant beauty. So many of our wide variety of fabrics work beautifully with this pattern — Australian Aborigine-designed, Modern Cottons and more!
Our instructions will leave you with enough blocks to add an additional eighth row if you want your quilt to be longer, or, as pictured here, you can choose to piece the backing with the left over fabrics and blocks for a fun and reversible look to your quilt! Download your free Bright Batik Blocks Quilt Pattern »
Artistic Artifacts Wide Stripes Batik Lap Quilt Pattern
We love our Wide Stripes Batik Lap Quilt pattern! It works with any décor, from modern to traditional, and is quick and easy to put together. Pictured here, our beauty was sewn with our Batik Tambal Exclusive Batik. Make your own version in colors you love! Download your free Wide Stripes Batik Lap Quilt Pattern PDF »
Remember, Artistic Artifacts sells a wide variety of books, DVDs and magazines for inspiration and to learn new mixed media techniques.
Classes and workshops with renowned local and international instructors, as well as store events such as book signings and demonstrations, are scheduled on a regular basis — visit our calendar to see what’s happening.