Thumbnail Filmstrip of April 8: Paper Piecing with Dudley Shugart Images
DescriptionPaper Piecing with Dudley Shugart
Saturday, April 8, 2023
10:30 am – 1:30 pm
Have you found a paper pieced quilt pattern or some paper pieced blocks you would like to make? Unsure of how to paper piece? Need some tips to get started? Join us for this introductory class! Everyone will begin class by making the same paper pieced block to learn, or review, the technique. After the review, you may start on any paper pieced project you wish. If you do not have one in mind, Dudley will have patterns to choose from. Books available at Artistic Artifacts such as Paper Piecing Handy Pocket Guide by Tacha Bruecher and Free Spirit Block Party are good jumping off points if you have not previously found a paper pieced pattern that you have wanted to take on as a project. At the end of class you should have the confidence to paper piece your own quilt top to completion!
Student Supply List:
• Your sewing machine, in good working order with all necessary cords and attachments.
• desired paper piecing pattern from suggested books or online
• assorted fabrics to make paper pieced blocks — 5-10 small pieces should be fine.
• 8 x 8 inch square ruler (or close if you don’t have those exact measurement)
• rotary cutter and cutting mat
• basic sewing supplies.
About the Instructor: Dudley Shugart, a member of the Burke chapter of Quilter’s Unlimited, has been quilting for decades as well as having years of experience working at quilt shops, including Artistic Artifacts. Dudley also frequently demonstrates specific quilting techniques at the shop.