A mixed media textile artist living in Colorado, Liz believes that CREATIVITY is the new superpower! She loves teaching and sharing the joy of making stuff in her articles, classes and workshops. After acquiring the skills for success in the traditional quilting arena, she began to delve into art quilting and discovered a world of freedom and fun in mixed media.
Liz is the co-author of Fabric Embellishing: The Basics & Beyond and Threads: The Basics & Beyond, and the author of First-Time Beading on Fabric and Know Your Needles: A Carry-Along Guide for Choosing Hand and Machine Needles.
In 2021 Liz will be joining Artistic Artifacts’ owner Judy Gula for a spectacular week of creative classes, tours, wonderful cuisine and more in Ischia di Castro, Italy — learn more about this creative retreat!
Fiber Collage Supplies
Artistic Artifacts offers a wide variety of Creative Finds for Creative Minds! Liz has made her textile mixed-media collage book, full of technique instruction and inspiration, available for free to all! And if you are registered for her online class Layers of Meaning: Telling Stories with Collage, you will enjoy the following:
- Hand-dyed Inspiration Packs — Artistic Artifacts owner Judy Gula hand dyes found textiles and fibers and incorporates them with overdyed woven cotton prints and solids to create these popular bundles, which can include vintage napkins, damask, trims, doilies and more, each unique in color and fibers.
- Fabric & Fiber Packages — scroll through this category to find such collections, such as the Vintage Linens Scrap Pack, that include various weights and textures special fabrics to embellish your art quilts, mixed media projects and more (an ideal way to build your stash).
- Mistyfuse — found in the Fusibles, Interfacings & Stabilizers category, this sheer lightweight fusible web is available in white, black and more.
- Goddess Sheet — available in a variety of sizes, these slick Teflon® coated sheer fiberglass sheets are designed to be used with fusibles.
- The Prepared Fabrics for Images section also contains fabric choices that are ready for your imagery, including:
- Paper Solvy — Sulky Paper Solvy® stabilizer can be used as a base, backing or topper and is suitable for use in copy machines, ink-jet printers or bubble-jet printers.
- Lutradur— available in a variety of weights, this 100% polyester spun bond non-woven is a versatile textile.
- see also her Thread recommendations below!
Silk Paper Supplies
- Silk Roving: Salt Spring Island Tussah Silk Roving/Sliver packages from Treenway Silks
- Creative Silk Packs by Treenway Silks
Each 20 gram (0.7 oz.) pack contains five analogous colors of four popular silk fibers — silk cocoons, silk carrier rods, silk hankies and degummed throwsters silk
- Jo Sonja® Textile Medium
- Beautiful Threads!
- Tentakulum Products
Handpainted Fibers & Textiles
Germany’s Tentakulum Manufaktur is famous for their Painter’s Threads: handpainted and space dyed textile materials created from silk, cotton, wool, rayon and metallics, for example:
- Soie d’Alger, a spun silk 7 ply stranded fiber
- Hand Dyed Cut Silk Cocoons
- WonderFil™ Specialty Threads
Shop our wide range of WonderFil thread lines for both hand and machine sewing, embroidery and serging, ranging from 100wt to 3wt in cotton, rayon, polyester, and metallic, for example:
- Spotlite Thread, 40wt rayon metallic
- GlaMore Thread, 12wt Rayon/Metallic