Open: Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Extended Evening Hours on Thursdays, to 8:00 pm
Visit us in person (or online!) for the latest “creative finds for creative minds.” Artistic Artifacts is located at 4750 Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria, VA (directions below). No matter your medium, you’ll find creative found objects for the contemporary fiber/mixed media artist to use in designing mixed media collage, assemblages, art quilts, clothing, altered books, dolls, scrap books, ATCs and more:
- Artistic Artifacts has been chosen as one of 10 shops to be featured in the Spring/Summer 2018 issue of Quilt Sampler® magazine! The issue will be available on newsstands in May 2018 — learn more »
- Artistic Artifacts is an authorized BERNINA dealer, selling machines and accessories, BERNINA mastery classes and sewing machine repair services
- Our shop is the location of the only WonderFil™ Threaducation Center on the East Coast, offering the wide variety of different WonderFil Specialty Threads
- Known for our selection of wooden printing blocks, we carry a wide variety of fiber, surface design and mixed media products, including a number that are manufacturered exclusively for us! Our textile paints garner rave reviews, we have a large line of batik fabrics as well as handpainted panels created by artisans in Indonesia exclusively for us, and more
- Your source for a wide variety of fabric, including the largest selection of Australian Aborigine-designed fabrics from M & S Textiles in Australia
We are home to exciting fiber and mixed media classes with renowned local and international instructors! We encourage our customers to join us monthly for our “How Do I Use This?” demonstrations and play-time, and the 3rd Sunday of each month for Judy’s Altered Minds (JAMs), an altered art group open to all. JAMs attendees gather support and encouragement for their art, participate in demonstrations of techniques and group challenges, and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded friends! We are proud to be a place for artists to gather and periodically hosts exhibits and shows. Rental space is available; see more below.
Artistic Artifacts is open:
- Tuesdays through Saturdays, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Extended evening hours on Thursdays, to 8:00 pm
We are closed each Monday and on most Sundays. Note that Artistic Artifacts is open monthly on the third Sunday, 1:00 -4:00 pm — the date of the JAMs meeting. Please visit our Calendar for exceptions. We are also open during any scheduled class hours (if they extend beyond whats listed), for custom arrangements or even drop-bys — contact us to confirm a staffer is
available to let you in!
Directions to Our Store
To visit Artistic Artifacts, take the Washington Beltway to exit 174, Eisenhower Avenue Connector. After exiting onto the ramp and merging onto the Connector, you will come to an intersection: take a left onto Eisenhower Avenue.
- 4750 Eisenhower Avenue is a red brick building approximately ¼ mile on the left, after the Fedex sign and before a condominium complex — look for the Artistic Artifacts sign.
- Store entrance is at the front of the Artistic Artifacts building, and you are free to park anywhere in our lot. View Mapquest »
The Van Dorn Street station, on the Blue Line, is located at 5690 Eisenhower Avenue, approximately 10 blocks (.720 miles) from Artistic Artifacts. The shop is on numerous bus routes too.
Accommodations for Out of Town Guests
For those who are traveling from out of town to attend a class held at Artistic Artifacts, the following are located just 5 minutes or so away.
Old Town Alexandria, a popular area for tourists, is very close by to our location and offers many additional hotel options, shopping, restaurants and historical venues. Visit www.visitalexandriava.com to learn more. Our location in Alexandria is also close to Washington, DC, another popular tourist destination.
Hold Your Event at Artistic Artifacts!
- Would you like to hold your quilt bee/fiber/art group meeting at our store?
- Interested in a demo and hands-on embellishment experience?
Space is available to accommodate up to 40 people for your meetings, charity work sessions, arts organizations, guild workshop rentals, and more (a modest supply fee may apply for demonstrations). Request rental rates and availability.
More About Artistic Artifacts
In a past blog posting, Judy wrote, “let’s see if I can remove some of the mystery. I have spent my whole life playing with fabric; I actually have a degree in Fashion Design from Radford University, but my most valuable education came from guilds and friends. Although I was always encouraged to be creative by family and friends, the practical side of life said to get the business degree as well. I did.”
After a few years in retail, Judy joined her family’s auto accessory businesses which were housed at 4750 Eisenhower Avenue for more than 20 years (and now operate online).
The businesses boasted their own retail showroom and racing museum in the store front; when the three Porsche Race Cars (not street legal!) moved out, Judy saw wide open underutilized space...enter the physical embodiment of her already established online presence. The shop’s Grand Opening was held March 28, 2008. The space that used to shelter high performance automobiles, their parts and accessories now houses fabrics, embellishments, paint, found objects, ephemera, classroom space and more!
Photo, above right, Green Leaves by Judy Gula, currently featured in First-Time Beading on Fabric: Learning to Bead in Nine Easy Lessons by Liz Kettle.