Effective June 1, Artistic Artifacts is open without appointments. Although there have been changes to Virginia guidelines, our staff — all fully vaccinated — will continue to wear face masks in the shop, and we ask that our customers do so too, to accommodate others who are not able to be vaccinated due to health conditions, age, etc.
Artistic Artifacts is open:
• Tuesday-Friday, 10:00am to 5:00pm
• Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00pm
Email us if you have questions. (Note that we reserve the right to limit the total number of shoppers present in the store.) Interested in a BERNINA sewing machine? Arrange a ‘test-drive’ today — contact us!
Curbside Pickup Service is available for online orders. If you live locally and want to pickup your order in person, our website allows you to designate that option. (You may also continue use the coupon code PICKUP20, which eliminates any shipping charge.) After submitting your order, email us using the subject line “[your order number] for Curbside Pickup.” Same day service is not guaranteed; we will email you when your order is ready.
Visit us in person (or online!) for the latest “creative finds for creative minds.” Artistic Artifacts is located at 4750 Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria, VA (directions below). No matter your medium, you’ll find creative products and found objects perfect for the contemporary fiber/mixed media artist! Looking for a gift for your favorite Creative Mind? Check out our gift section, which includes the Artistic Artifacts Gift Certificate!
- Artistic Artifacts is an authorized BERNINA dealer, selling machines and accessories, BERNINA mastery classes and sewing machine repair services
- Our shop is the location of a WonderFil™ Thread Boutique, offering the wide variety of different WonderFil Specialty Threads for hand- and machine-stitching
- Known for our selection of wooden printing blocks, we carry a wide variety of fiber, surface design and mixed media products, including a number that are manufacturered exclusively for us! Our textile paints garner rave reviews, we have a large line of batik fabrics as well as handpainted panels created by artisans in Indonesia exclusively for us, and more
- Your source for a wide variety of fabric, including the largest selection of Australian Aborigine-designed fabrics from M & S Textiles in Australia
- Artistic Artifacts was chosen as one of the Top Shops featured in 2018 by Quilt Sampler® and offesyour color choice of kits to complete our magazine-exclusive quilt! If you missed this issue on the newsstands, purchase your magazine from us!
We are home to exciting fiber and mixed media classes with renowned local and international instructors! We encourage our customers to join us on the 3rd Sunday of each month for Judy’s Altered Minds (JAMs), an altered art group open to all (currently held via Zoom until further notice). JAMs attendees gather support and encouragement for their art, participate in demonstrations of techniques and group challenges, and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded friends! We are proud to be a place for artists to gather and periodically hosts exhibits and shows. Rental space is available; see more below.
Directions to Our Store
To visit Artistic Artifacts, take the Washington Beltway to exit 174, Eisenhower Avenue Connector. After exiting onto the ramp and merging onto the Connector, you will come to an intersection: take a left onto Eisenhower Avenue.
- 4750 Eisenhower Avenue is a red brick building approximately ¼ mile on the left, after the Fedex sign and before a condominium complex — look for the Artistic Artifacts sign.
- Store entrance is at the front of the Artistic Artifacts building, and you are free to park anywhere in our lot. View Mapquest »
The Van Dorn Street station, on the Blue Line, is located at 5690 Eisenhower Avenue, approximately 10 blocks (.720 miles) from Artistic Artifacts. The shop is on numerous bus routes too.
Alexandria, VA and Local Accommodations
Artistic Artifacts is a proud member of the Alexandria, VA Convention and Visitors Association! Alexandria is nationally recognized for its rich history and beautifully preserved 18th- and 19th-century architecture in Old Town Alexandria and known for acclaimed, chef-driven restaurants; a thriving boutique scene; vibrant arts and culture; and a welcoming, walkable lifestyle. Named the #1 Best Value U.S. Travel Destination 2018 by Money magazine and one of the South’s Prettiest Cities 2018 by Southern Living, Alexandria is the relaxed and refined home base for your D.C. vacation and an unforgettable getaway of its own. Visit www.visitalexandriava.com to learn more.
For those who are traveling from out of town to attend a class held at Artistic Artifacts, VisitAlexandriaVA.com lists numerous hotels. The following options are located just minutes away from our shop.
More About Artistic Artifacts
In a past blog post, Judy wrote, “let’s see if I can remove some of the mystery. I have spent my whole life playing with fabric; I actually have a degree in Fashion Design from Radford University, but my most valuable education came from guilds and friends. Although I was always encouraged to be creative by family and friends, the practical side of life said to get the business degree as well. I did.”
After a few years in retail, Judy joined her family’s auto accessory businesses which were housed at 4750 Eisenhower Avenue for more than 20 years (and now operate online).
The businesses boasted their own retail showroom and racing museum in the store front; when the three Porsche Race Cars (not street legal!) moved out, Judy saw wide open underutilized space...enter the physical embodiment of her already established online presence. The shop’s Grand Opening was held March 28, 2008. The space that used to shelter high performance automobiles, their parts and accessories now houses fabrics, embellishments, paint, found objects, ephemera, classroom space and more!
Photo, above right, Green Leaves by Judy Gula, featured in First-Time Beading on Fabric: Learning to Bead in Nine Easy Lessons by Liz Kettle.