Artistic Artifacts is Temporarily Closed:
Effective Tuesday, March 17, Artistic Artifacts is temporarily closed to the public due to the Coronavirus and COVID-19 global health crisis. Our online sales department remains unaffected, and we offers our online customers the following specials:
- all orders to U.S. addresses will ship for FREE; but you must use our coupon code 8AN2020 upon checkout.
- International customers, please use the coupon code 8AN2020-2 for a US$20 discount on your shipping fees.
Local customers can arrange curbside pickup of online orders — learn more about this option. Please also see our classes page for additional specific information. Our decisions can change as this rapidly evolving situation does: we will post updated information here and on our social media channels.
Visit us in person (or online!) for the latest “creative finds for creative minds.” Artistic Artifacts is located at 4750 Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria, VA (directions below). No matter your medium, you’ll find creative products and found objects perfect for the contemporary fiber/mixed media artist! Looking for a gift for your favorite Creative Mind? Check out our gift section, which includes the Artistic Artifacts Gift Certificate!
- Artistic Artifacts is an authorized BERNINA dealer, selling machines and accessories, BERNINA mastery classes and sewing machine repair services
- Our shop is the location of a WonderFil™ Thread Boutique, offering the wide variety of different WonderFil Specialty Threads for hand- and machine-stitching
- We are one of ten shop participating in the annual Quilters’ Quest Shop Hop throughout Maryland and Northern Virginia
- Known for our selection of wooden printing blocks, we carry a wide variety of fiber, surface design and mixed media products, including a number that are manufacturered exclusively for us! Our textile paints garner rave reviews, we have a large line of batik fabrics as well as handpainted panels created by artisans in Indonesia exclusively for us, and more
- Your source for a wide variety of fabric, including the largest selection of Australian Aborigine-designed fabrics from M & S Textiles in Australia
- Artistic Artifacts was chosen as one of the Top Shops featured in 2018 by Quilt Sampler® and offesyour color choice of kits to complete our magazine-exclusive quilt! If you missed this issue on the newsstands, purchase your magazine from us!
We are home to exciting fiber and mixed media classes with renowned local and international instructors! We encourage our customers to join us on the 3rd Sunday of each month for Judy’s Altered Minds (JAMs), an altered art group open to all. JAMs attendees gather support and encouragement for their art, participate in demonstrations of techniques and group challenges, and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded friends! We are proud to be a place for artists to gather and periodically hosts exhibits and shows. Rental space is available; see more below.
Directions to Our Store
To visit Artistic Artifacts, take the Washington Beltway to exit 174, Eisenhower Avenue Connector. After exiting onto the ramp and merging onto the Connector, you will come to an intersection: take a left onto Eisenhower Avenue.
- 4750 Eisenhower Avenue is a red brick building approximately ¼ mile on the left, after the Fedex sign and before a condominium complex — look for the Artistic Artifacts sign.
- Store entrance is at the front of the Artistic Artifacts building, and you are free to park anywhere in our lot. View Mapquest »
The Van Dorn Street station, on the Blue Line, is located at 5690 Eisenhower Avenue, approximately 10 blocks (.720 miles) from Artistic Artifacts. The shop is on numerous bus routes too.
Alexandria, VA and Local Accommodations
Artistic Artifacts is a proud member of the Alexandria, VA Convention and Visitors Association! Alexandria is nationally recognized for its rich history and beautifully preserved 18th- and 19th-century architecture in Old Town Alexandria and known for acclaimed, chef-driven restaurants; a thriving boutique scene; vibrant arts and culture; and a welcoming, walkable lifestyle. Named the #1 Best Value U.S. Travel Destination 2018 by Money magazine and one of the South’s Prettiest Cities 2018 by Southern Living, Alexandria is the relaxed and refined home base for your D.C. vacation and an unforgettable getaway of its own. Visit www.visitalexandriava.com to learn more.
For those who are traveling from out of town to attend a class held at Artistic Artifacts, VisitAlexandriaVA.com lists numerous hotels. The following options are located just minutes away from our shop.
Hold Your Event at Artistic Artifacts!
- Would you like to hold your quilt bee/fiber/art group meeting at our store?
- Interested in a demo and hands-on embellishment experience?
Space is available to accommodate up to 40 people for your meetings, charity work sessions, arts organizations, guild workshop rentals, and more (a modest supply fee may apply for demonstrations). Request rental rates and availability.
Artistic Artifacts is open:
• Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00am to 5:00pm
We are closed each Monday and on major holidays; visit our Calendar for complete information. Our calendar will also include information on weather related closings, special or reduced holiday hours, etc. The public is welcome to visit the store on the 3rd Sunday, with special open hours as we host JAMs.
More About Artistic Artifacts
In a past blog post, Judy wrote, “let’s see if I can remove some of the mystery. I have spent my whole life playing with fabric; I actually have a degree in Fashion Design from Radford University, but my most valuable education came from guilds and friends. Although I was always encouraged to be creative by family and friends, the practical side of life said to get the business degree as well. I did.”
After a few years in retail, Judy joined her family’s auto accessory businesses which were housed at 4750 Eisenhower Avenue for more than 20 years (and now operate online).
The businesses boasted their own retail showroom and racing museum in the store front; when the three Porsche Race Cars (not street legal!) moved out, Judy saw wide open underutilized space...enter the physical embodiment of her already established online presence. The shop’s Grand Opening was held March 28, 2008. The space that used to shelter high performance automobiles, their parts and accessories now houses fabrics, embellishments, paint, found objects, ephemera, classroom space and more!
Photo, above right, Green Leaves by Judy Gula, currently featured in First-Time Beading on Fabric: Learning to Bead in Nine Easy Lessons by Liz Kettle.