New Woodblock Designs
Artistic Artifacts carries a large line of wooden printing blocks, hand carved in India, and we’ve just added a lot of brand-new designs that are gorgeous! Block printing is a centuries old method for printing fabric, paper, and other textiles. In today’s surface design world, using these blocks either as stamps or as the basis for a rubbing (or both) produces wonderful texture and pattern.
Seats Still Available for Friday Block Printing Class
We are fortunate to host one of the world’s most acclaimed textile artists, Jamie Malden, owner of Colouricious in England, who will be leading a block printing class this Friday, June 28 — it’s not too late to register (see link below with other class info) so don’t miss this rare opportunity!
Newsletter-only Sale on Exclusive Combanasi Fabric!
Artistic Artifacts/Batik Tambal is the exclusive North American distributor Combanasi batik fabric, so named because it goes through a combination of three distinct labor-intensive processes:
1. Wax resist batik with contemporary motif
2. Overdye with one or more colors
3. Screen print in black or white with a second batik motif, usually a traditional design.
Every yard of this uniquely gorgeous fabric is painstakingly created by hand by skilled craftsmen in Indonesia [top photo]. Combanasi fabric is an extraordinary layering of color, complex texture and pattern, and boasts a beautiful soft hand. It is wonderfully suited for any sewing or home decoration project. From now to Sunday, July 7 — and available only to our enewsletter subscribers — Artistic Artifacts is offering a 20% discount off your order of Combanasi fabric — shop now and use the following coupon code when you check out: COMBjune.
Flea Market and Linen Sale this Friday & Saturday
Artistic Artifacts holds a large flea market in its warehouse approximately once a month, and this weekend, in addition to the regular flea market finds, a separate Vintage Linen Sale will be taking place, with hundreds of items at deeply discounted prices. These sales (cash only please) will take place Friday, June 28 and Saturday, June 29, from 7:00 am to noon each day.
You’ll find a wide variety of tablecloths, napkins, embroidered handkerchiefs and tea towels, dresser scarves, vintage bark cloth and more. These vintage items are perfect as is, and take dye beautifully (see July 13 class below). We also have an array of vintage quilts and chenille bedspreads, plus sewing knick-knacks.
Our monthly flea market is a great place to pick up household bargains — furniture, dishes and other and clothing at bargain prices (many items at just $1.00!) And it’s a treasure trove of material for art projects — old books ideal for altering, metal and wood items for assemblage, etc. See you this weekend!
Fiber & Mixed Media Classes at Artistic Artifacts
Learn new techniques and stretch your creativity! We have been hard at work organizing and posting a wide variety of classes for the summer — view our full list:
- Friday, June 28: Block Printing with Jamie Malden of Colouricious — most supplies provided! Join leading British textile artist Jamie Malden as she instructs you in the age-old techniques of using wooden printing blocks to print fabric and paper.
- Saturday, June 29: Medley of Metallics Morning with Diane Herbort — most supplies provided, create your own ATCs! Discover a multitude of ways to add some glimmer to your collages, quilts or mixed media accessories with a variety of products.
- Saturday, July 13: Dye Day with Judy Gula — Love color and the distinctive look of hand-dyed fabric, but don’t want to worry about preparing multiple dye solutions? Then this is the perfect class for you!
- Tuesday, July 16: Create Fabric Postcards with Judy Gula — This class is great way to try new techniques in a small way, and oh-so-fun to swap with people or to mail.!
- Thursday, July 18: Collage Art Quilt with Judy Gula — Incorporate mixed media techniques, photo image transfer, stitching plus embellish with found objects to create a one of a kind piece of fiber art.
- Saturday, July 20: House of Memories: Recycled-Materials Book with DJ Gaskin — many supplies provided! Build a pocket journal shaped like a house, using recycled materials that boasts a variety of pocket/envelopes to hold small photos, tickets, notes, and other treasures.
- Saturday, July 27: Vintage Mermaid Collage with ShaDeeLa — most supplies provided! Create a unique vintage-style collage featuring the cool blue sea and a lovely mermaid! You’ll learn collage layering, ShaDeeLa’s signature distressing techniques and how to create a faux encaustic finished surface.