Artistic Artifacts in Alexandria, VA has BERNINA-trained repair technicians on staff and on site. We do not make service appointments, but instead work on machines in the order in which they are received in store — you may bring your machine to us at any time during our store hours. Download the PDF version of our Service Department check in form to fill out in advance of bringing in your machine, or complete the form on-site.
Service is warranted for 30 days after pick-up. Currently our service turnaround is 2-3 weeks. We will always update you with longer time estimates if necessary due to ordering parts, etc.
In addition to your sewing machine, the following items* are required when bringing it in for servicing or cleaning. Missing items may slow down the completion of your service.
- Power cord & Foot control
- Bobbin case with bobbin
- Presser Feet — please include the following feet (if machine appropriate):
- #3A/#3C (automatic buttonhole)
- BERNINA Stitch Regulator (BSR) — IF it is part of the problem requiring service
- General sewing stitch plate (not a straight stitch plate)
- Hard case/cover
Please do not bring any additional items. Artistic Artifacts will not be responsible for any additional accessories left with the machine while it is being serviced.
— If you are bringing in a BERNINA Embroidery machine for servicing, please also include:
- Embroidery module
- Hoop (large oval)
- Embroidery/Darning Foot
NOTE: Please make a backup of your embroidery designs on a personal design card or hard drive before bringing your BERNINA in for servicing. Artistic Artifacts is not responsible for any designs you may have saved on your machine.
— If you are bringing in a BERNINA Serger for servicing, please also include:
- Standard feet
- Needle plates
All service customers will be asked to provide a detailed description of the problem requiring repair on their Service Department check in form. Include the type of thread and needle used when problem occurred. If possible, bring in a sewn example that illustrates the issue; a stitch sample or video of the problem can be helpful in diagnosing the issue.
Email us or phone (703) 823-0202 to learn more about having your BERNINA serviced at Artistic Artifacts.
At Home Maintenance
Your machine will benefit from simple at-home maintenance in between regular service appointments. Hans Herzog, BERNINA’s Director of technical education and support, answers frequently asked questions to machine cleaning and oiling in this May 20, 2020 blog post, with links to video tutorials and more.
The We All Sew Blog also recommends the following:
- Simple tips on how to remove lint and clean your sewing machine
- How to clean and oil your sewing machine with the BERNINA hook, featured in the 7 and 5 Series machines
- Complete step-by-step tutorial to cleaning and oiling your BERNINA sewing machine with the BERNINA hook, featured in the 7 and 5 Series machines